- Introduction and scope
- The Foundation (“we” or “us” or “our“) is a non-profit company that seeks to support people living in under-resourced communities in South Africa, by providing relief resources, facilitating capacity-building and horizontal learning exchanges, and mobilizing and advocating for systemic change. The Emmanuel Taban Foundation’s mission is shaped around the following areas:
- Support education in the form of fund raising for scholarships
- Support infrastructure projects that are in line with education
- Support in the form of learning materials for education purposes
- Mentorship and empowerment programs
- Skills development programs for the young people
- Our offices are located at Midstream Medical Park. The Foundation is a responsible party (or data controller in some jurisdictions) of your personal information and special personal information as defined below.
- The Foundation respects the right to privacy and confidentiality of our potential and existing stakeholders’ personal information. We are committed to protecting your privacy and strive to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently with the ultimate goal of improving our services. This notice extends to all activities within the
- POPIA describes personal information as information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. The person to whom personal information relates is referred to as the “data subject”.
- According to POPIA personal information includes, but is not limited to, contact information, financial information, information relating to race, gender, sexual orientation, age, contact details, identity number, religion, name, culture, language and Special personal information refers to details about your religious or philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, trade union membership, political persuasion, health or sex life, biometric information or information about your criminal offences or convictions.
2. Whaxt type of personal information do we collect and process?
- The type of information we collect will depend on the purpose for which it is collected and We will only collect information that we need for that purpose. When personal information is collected, the Foundation will indicate the purpose for the collection and whether the information required is compulsory or voluntary. The Foundation will not collect such information if it is unnecessary or if no consent is given by the data subject.
- We may process various types of personal information about you, as follows:
- Identity Information, which includes information concerning your name, username or similar identifier, occupation, interests, date of birth, gender, race and legal status, as well as copies of your identity documents, photographs, identity number, registration number and your qualifications;
- Contact Information, which includes your e-mail addresses and telephone numbers;
- Financial Information, which includes bank account details; tax clearance certificates and VAT registration numbers;
- Transaction Information, which includes details about payments made to or received from you and company information, which may consist of financial activity;
- Usage Information, which includes information as to your access to and use of our services, or the website, such as what links you went to, what content you accessed, the amount of content viewed and the order of that content, as well as the amount of time spent on the specific content and what services you access and use when engaging with us; and
- Location Information, which includes geographical information from the device you may use to access our website or engage with us (which is usually based on the GPS or IP location).
- We hereby notify you that, in certain circumstances, by engaging with The Foundation, we may also collect certain special personal information about you such as your race or ethnic origin, or your health or sex life.
- The processing of special personal information requires higher levels of protection and we need to have further justifications for processing such special personal information. We have implemented appropriate policies and safeguards, which we are required by law to maintain, to process special personal information.
- We will generally not process special personal information about you unless it is necessary for establishing, exercising or defending a right or obligation in law, or where we have obtained your consent to do so. On rare occasions, there may be other reasons for processing your special personal information, such as where the information has been deliberately made public by you.
3. Why we collect personal information?
- We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information and/or special personal information mainly to provide you with access to the services and support that we provide. We will only process your information for a purpose you would reasonably expect, including:
- To establish and verify your identity and/or update your details;
- To administer and manage our service to you;
- To measure impact, and improve our operations through monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- To notify you of news and /or developments that may be of interest to you;
- To promote the work of the Foundation;
- To receive and process donations or grants;
- To comply with any legal and regulatory requirements; and
- adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the provision of our services and/or the use of the website, or such other purpose for which it was collected.
- We will obtain your permission before collecting or using your personal information and/or special personal information for any other
4. How we collect personal information?
The Foundation collects information either directly from the data subject or third parties and public sources. The source from which the personal information and special personal information was obtained, if not directly from the data subject, will be disclosed.
5. Use of personal information
- After obtaining your consent, the personal information and/or special personal information collected or held by The Foundation may be used, stored, transferred, disclosed or shared only for the purposes for which it was collected, as set out above in clause 1 above, and/or as agreed with you.
- Records of personal information will be retained for the period necessary for achieving the purpose for which the information was collected. Please note that you have a right to object to the processing of your personal information for example for purposes of direct marketing, unless consent was obtained from
- we are required or permitted by law, a code of conduct or a contract with you to do so;
- we reasonably need it for lawful purposes related to the performance of our functions and activities;
- we reasonably require it for evidentiary purposes; or
- you agree to us retaining it for a specified further
- The Foundation will always comply with applicable legal, regulatory, or other requirements as they pertain to the retention of your personal information.
6. Methods of processing and storage of personal information
- We store your personal information and special personal information on:
- our premises, in the form of hard copies;
- the premises of third party service providers such as document storage service providers;
- our servers; or
- on the servers of our third party service providers, such as IT systems or hosting service providers.
- Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT-enabled tools, following organisational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes In some cases, the data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operations of The Emmanuel Taban Foundation’s Communications and Marketing department, Programme Department, Operational Department, or Partnerships Department or external parties (such as third party technical service providers). Any third party will be required to adhere to all privacy and confidentially requirements of POPIA, we will also ensure that we have entered into written agreements with those third party service providers governing our relationship with them that require them to secure the integrity and confidentiality of personal information in their possession by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures.
7. Third party sites
- We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such third party websites, or for any claims, loss or damage arising from these.
8. Analytics and Cookies
- We may passively collect some of your personal information from the device that you use to access and navigate our website, by way of various technological applications and services, such as web analysis services including Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel.
- The technological applications and services referred to in this section enable The Foundation to monitor and analyse web traffic and are used to track user behaviour and optimise user experience on our website.
- Web analysis service providers collect data to examine the use of the Foundation website and to prepare reports on website use activities to improve the user experience and site performance.
- Each web analysis service is responsible for adherence to relevant data protection rules which can be obtained via their own Privacy Notices.
- The Foundation website uses Google Analytics and Facebook
- Google Analytics collects data about how people use our website. Google Analytics will, inter alia, collect the following information:
- Time of visit, pages visited, and time spent on each page of the webpages;
- Referring site details (such as the URI a user came through to arrive at this site);
- Type of web browser;
- Type of operating system (OS);
- Network location and IP
You can find out more about Google Analytics data processing terms here and here. Google Analytics’ Terms of Service prohibits the collection of personally identifiable data such as name, email address, or billing information.
8.6.4. The personal information that we passively collect from your device through Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel may include your technical information, your profile information, your usage information, your location information and your marketing and communications information, or any other personal information which you permit us, from time to time, to passively collect from your device.
9. Sharing of personal information
- The Foundation will only share your personal information or special personal information with third parties if you have consented to such If consent has been obtained, we may share your personal information or special personal information with third parties who are involved in the delivery of services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the POPIA.
- Where the Foundation discloses personal information to any third parties, the third party will be obliged to use that personal information only for the reasons and purposes it was disclosed for.
- You agree and give permission for us to share your personal information under the following circumstances:
- to enable us to enforce or apply any agreement you have with us;
- to enable us to monitor web traffic: web servers serving the website automatically collect information about pages you visit. This information is used for internal review, to tailor information to individual visitors and for traffic audits;
- if required to do so by law or when we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law or with any legal process;
- protect and defend the rights, property or safety of the Foundation, or our clients, employees, contractors, suppliers, agents or any third party;
- protect the rights, property or safety of members of the public (if you provide false or deceptive information or misrepresent yourself, we may proactively disclose such information to the appropriate regulatory bodies and/or commercial entities).
10. Securing personal information
- The Foundation processes the personal information and special personal information of data subjects in a proper manner and shall take appropriate and reasonable technical, organisational and security measures to prevent loss of, damage of personal information, unauthorised access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorised destruction of such information. We will store all the personal information in secured environments, for example on secured servers in a protected data centre.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures periodically, to ensure that we keep abreast of good practice.
- Despite the above measures being taken when processing personal information and special personal information, subject to the provisions of this clause 3, as far as the law allows, we will not be liable for any loss, claim and/or damages arising from any unauthorised access, disclosure, misuse, loss, alteration or destruction of your personal information and/or special personal information.
- In this clause, you acknowledge that you know and you accept that information and special personal information will not be secure when processed by means of technology. We do not promise that we can keep your personal information and special personal information completely secure. To the maximum extent permitted by law, you will not be able to take action against us if you suffer losses or damages in these
- Your rights
- You have the right to request to review your personal information contained by the Foundation at any time to correct or update the information. If the purpose for which your personal information was requested initially does not exist anymore, for example you no longer wish to be a donor, you may request information held by the Foundation to be deleted. However, the Foundation can decline your request to delete the information from its records if other legislation requires the continued retention thereof or if it has been de-
- If you would like to obtain a copy of your personal information held by the Foundation, please review The Emmanuel Taban Foundation’s Promotion of Access to Information Manual, a copy may also be obtained at our offices in Midstream Medical Park.
- POPIA also provides you with the right to request the restriction of your personal information. This enables you to ask The Foundation to suspend the processing of your personal information in limited circumstances.
- You may withdraw your consent for us to process your personal information at any time. The withdrawal of your consent can only be made by you on condition that such withdrawal of your consent:
- does not affect the processing of your personal information before the withdrawal of your consent; or
- does not affect the processing of your personal information if the processing is in compliance with an obligation imposed by law on us; or
- does not affect the processing of your personal information where such processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by a public body; or
- does not affect the processing of your personal information as required to finalise the performance of a contract in which you are a party; or
- does not affect the processing of your personal information as required to protect your legitimate interests or our own legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party to whom the information is
- You also have the right to submit a complaint to the Information Regulator alleging interference with the protection of the personal information of a data subject. See contact details below.
12. Updating this notice
14. How to contact us
Upon receiving your request, we will contact you directly, investigate your request, and work to address your concerns. We will respond to your request without undue delay. We reserve the right to take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to granting access or processing changes or corrections.
15. Information Regulator
Should you feel that your rights in respect of your personal information have been infringed, please address your concerns to our Information Officer at email@example.com. If you feel that the attempts by The Foundation to resolve the matter have been inadequate, you have the right to contact the Information Regulator, whose contact details are:
Tel: 012 406 4818
Fax: 086 500 3351